Focus and Scope
Journal of Engineering Research (JER) is a international, peer reviewed journal which publishes full length original research papers, reviews, case studies related to all areas of Engineering such as: Civil, Mechanical, Industrial, Electrical, Computer, Chemical, Petroleum, Aerospace, Architectural, Biomedical, Coastal, Environmental, Marine & Ocean, Metallurgical & Materials, software, Surveying, Systems and Manufacturing Engineering. In particular, JER focuses on innovative approaches and methods that contribute to solving the environmental and manufacturing problems, which exist primarily in the Arabian Gulf region and the Middle East countries. Kuwait University used to publish the Journal "Kuwait Journal of Science and Engineering" (ISSN: 1024-8684), which included Science and Engineering articles since 1974. In 2011 the decision was taken to split KJSE into two independent Journals - "Journal of Engineering Research "(JER) and "Kuwait Journal of Science" (KJS). The articles published in JER – are indexed, classified, linked, or summarized by: Directory of Open Access Journals – DOAJ, ULRICH´S Periodicals Directory, Springer's GSJ.
Peer Review Process
JER follows Single Blind review .
- We scan the submitted papers if they are according to the journal instructions.
- The papers which pass the journal instructions are checked for plagiarism and the paper passes if it obtains a score less than 20%.
- We assign the passed papers to the concerned branch editor to check the paper if it deserves the peer review process or not.
- If the paper is accepted by the branch editor for review, he suggests a list of five reviewers for possible peer review.
- We send the abstract to the reviewer and ask him if he is able to make peer review for the paper. We offer him seven days to respond.
- If the reviewer accepts to review the paper, we offer him 30 days to submit his review report to the journal.
- The branch editor examines the review results based on two reports and either he rejects the paper, accepts the paper or ask for revisions from the author.
- The accepted papers are edited and sent to the press to make the first draft of the issue.
- The draft of each paper is sent to the author for proofreading before the final print.
JER publishes 4 issues in a year, March / June / September / December
Open Access Policy
JER is an Open Access journal and offers the following author rights and access policies:
- All Journal content is freely available after publication on the JER website.
- JER retain copyright.
- All articles are published under the Creative Commons Attribution (BY-NC-ND) license, full details of which can be found here.
- Articles can be shared and adapted provided attribution for the work is given.
Publication Ethics And Malpractice Statement
The Journal of Engineering research is dedicated to following best practices on ethical matters, errors and retractions. The prevention of publication malpractice is one of the important responsibilities of the editorial board. Any kind of unethical behavior is not acceptable, and JER does not tolerate plagiarism in any form. Authors submitting articles to JER affirm that manuscript contents are original. Furthermore, they warrant that their article has neither been published elsewhere nor is it under review for publication anywhere.
DUTIES OF EDITOR
- Publication Decisions: Based on the review report of the editorial board, the editor can accept, reject, or request modifications to the manuscript.
- Review of Manuscripts: Editor must ensure that each manuscript is initially evaluated by the editor for originality, making use of appropriate software to do so. After passing this test, the manuscript is forwarded to two reviewers for single-blind peer review, each of whom will make a recommendation to accept, reject, or modify the manuscript. The review period will be up to 30 days.
- Fair Play: The editor must ensure that each manuscript received by the Journal is reviewed for its intellectual content without regard to sex, gender, race, religion, citizenship, etc. of the authors.
- Confidentiality: The editor must ensure that information regarding manuscripts submitted by the authors is kept confidential.
- Disclosure and Conflicts of Interest: The editor of the Journal will not use unpublished materials disclosed in a submitted manuscript for his own research without written consent of the author.
DUTIES OF AUTHOR
- Reporting Standards: Authors should present an accurate account of their original research as well as an objective discussion of its significance. Manuscripts will follow the submission guidelines of the journal. (See submission guideline policies)
- Originality: Authors must ensure that they have written entirely original work.
- Multiple, Redundant, or Concurrent Publications: Authors should not submit the same manuscript to more than one journal concurrently. It is also expected that the author will not publish redundant manuscripts or manuscripts describing the same research in more than one journal.
- Acknowledgement of Sources: Authors should acknowledge all sources of data used in the research and cite publications that have been influential in the research work.
- Authorship of the Paper: Authorship should be limited to those who have made a significant contribution to conception, design, execution or interpretation of the reported study. Others who have made significant contribution must be listed as co-authors. Authors also ensure that all the authors have seen and agreed to the submitted version of the manuscript and their inclusion of names as co-authors.
- Data Access and Retention: Authors should provide raw data related to their manuscript for editorial review and must retain such data.
- Fundamental Errors in Published Works: If at any point of time, the author(s) discovers a significant error or inaccuracy in submitted manuscript, then the error or inaccuracy must be reported to the editor.
- Withdrawal of Manuscript: The Manuscript can’t be withdrawn or publish with another Journal once it reviewed. If you do so, you are liable to pay the review expenses and you will be banned and blacklisted with JER for 3 years.
DUTIES OF REVIEWERS
- Confidentiality: Information regarding manuscripts submitted by authors should be kept confidential and be treated as privileged information.
- Acknowledgement of Sources: Manuscript reviewers must ensure that authors have acknowledged all sources of data used in the research. Any kind of similarity or overlap between the manuscripts under consideration or with any other published paper of which reviewer has personal knowledge must be immediately brought to the editor's notice.
- Standards of Objectivity: Review of submitted manuscripts must be done objectively and the reviewers should express their views clearly with supporting arguments.
- Promptness: In the event that a reviewer feels it is not possible for him/her to complete review of manuscript within stipulated time then this information must be communicated to the editor, so that the manuscript could be sent to another reviewer.
Academic misconduct in any form will not be tolerated by “Journal of engineering research”. In cases of suspected misconduct (plagiarism, fraud, breached intellectual property rights, etc.) a panel will be formed to evaluate the substance of the claim. If the claim is supported by evidence, the paper in question will be rejected and all authors and their affiliations will be informed. In cases where the paper has already been published before the misconduct was discovered, the paper will be withdrawn from JER archive and an announcement of this act will be posted in the first issue published following the case. Cases of misconduct may result in a three-year or longer ban from future submission to “Journal of engineering research”. The author(s) might be blacklisted.
If author(s) are from Kuwait University, their case will be presented in front of the university council and this could affect their promotion(s) and/or contract renewal.